http://bugguide.net/node/view/148447Subject: beetle with orange ”antlers” – central Ohio
Location: north central Ohio
A friend saw this beetle on his screen door tonight. He said it was about an inch long. I thought maybe it was a variegated June beetle, but it has pincers and it looks like it’s shiny. This was seen in north central Ohio.
Signature: Sharon G

Cedar Beetle

Cedar Beetle

September 15, 2013 5:56 AM
I finally found it: identified it as a male Sandalus niger. Thanks!

Hi Sharon,
We are happy to learn you have identified your male Cedar Beetle,
Sandalus niger.  The Cicada Parasite Beetles resemble Scarab Beetles, but they diverge at the suborder level of taxonomy.  This is not a commonly reported species to our site, so we are very happy to have a new photograph.  We originally posted an image of a Cedar Beetle two years ago and that was the first representative on our site, and it was also from central Ohio.  According to BugGuide:  “Larvae probably feed on Cycada nymphs. Adults very short lived.”

Location: Ohio

15 Responses to Cedar Beetle

1. caleb says:

I saw a BUNCH of these flying around my tree in my backyard on Sept 27th 2015. I live in northeast Nebraska and I’ve never seen them before in all my 24 years. My dogs were digging the ground around the tree so I’m curious, do they live or hibernate underground?

BugGuide does report Cedar Beetles from Nebraska. Since BugGuide indicates “Larvae probably feed on Cycada nymphs” and since Cicada nymphs live underground feeding on sap from roots of trees, shrubs and other plants (depending upon the species of Cicada) we can deduce that adult Cedar Beetles emerge from pupae that are underground.

2. Jo Berry says:

we have a beetle with a red chevron red pattern on its wings. I’m not finding a picture of it any where. we do have eastern cedar trees near our house and these are entering our house. Can they be harmful and how can we control them?We do have chickens but they don’t appear to eat them. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

3. Barra says:

Cedar beetle made himself known to my work colleague by tapping on her window last night!! In Dublin, Ireland! Are they common in Europe?

4. Jeanne P says:

I think I have had 3 Cedar Beetles in my house. You did not answer how to get rid of them. Why are they in the house? We are having extremely cold weather in western Oregon.

5. Josh craggs says:

I have just had one of these bettles flying around my house in malton, england never seen before unsure what to do with it as i have it sat in a plastic box for examination purposes as i was unsure what it was
    I have 3 children and a rabbit in the house do i need to keep them away from any of these bettles?

6. Linda Jeffords-Knight says:

I have something I thought was a Cedar beetle, but it’s huge. My dog was digging at it from some leaves near my house and hydrangea. It’s about 2 inches long! I see no way to post a photo to you.

7. Amanda says:

My 9 year old son just noticed this exact beetle crawling in our drive way. We live in Lincoln Park, MI. Not too far from Detroit. I have never in my 29 years noticed a beetle like this! They are very pretty though with the fan antennae .

8. Jessica says:

First time I’ve ever seen them in my 38yrs. 20+ were dive bombing my Ash tree near Columbus, OH. We had a ton of Cicadas this year, so is that why I’m seeing them? I was scared they were eating my tree or something, and google lead me here. Glad to hear they are harmless. They were landing on each other, I thought they were mating? lol But seems I had only males here. I have a picture, not sure how to submit with my comment.

You may submit images using the Ask What’s That Bug? link on our site. Perhaps a large population of Cicadas last year led to a spike in Cedar Beetle populations this year.