Subject: Cicada emerging from old skeleton
Location: Omaha, NE
I live in Omaha, NE, and about a month ago (mid August), the cicadas started up. My husband found this guy on the tree in our front yard. My camera actually snapped some pretty good photos, and I thought you might like to have them in your archives. Bugs are awesome!
Signature: Erica F.

Annual Cicada Metamorphosis

Annual Cicada Metamorphosis

Dear Erica F.,
Thanks so much for sending your wonderful images of the metamorphosis of an Annual Cicada in the genus
Tibicen.

Annual Cicada Metamorphosis

Annual Cicada Metamorphosis

Location: Omaha, Nebraska

One Response to Annual Cicada Metamorphosis

1. Susan B. says:

Wow, that is an AWESOME image! I love how the little girl is watching happily (and not screaming and hiding, having been taught by the adults in her life to fear insects).

I love cicadas and I was sorely tempted to drive the 5 or so hours to the nearest part of this year’s brood of Periodical Cicadas. I decided not to, but as I sit near my window I still get to enjoy the whines and buzzes of all my local ones as I type this.