Subject: Strange Caterpillar – Australia
Location: NSW Australia
Hey Bugman,
Came across this quirky looking caterpillar yesterday and have never seen one like this before.
I am in the Hawkesbury region of NSW, Australia.
The caterpillar is about 5cm long. Would love to know what he or she will eventually become.
I also have a video of him if you would like to see it, he is just adorable.
http://youtu.be/8cbvojLG5n4
Signature: Tracy

Unknown Caterpillar

Sparshalli Moth Caterpillar

Hi Tracy,
We did a quick scan of Butterfly House, but we didn’t have any luck identifying your caterpillar.  We really must go to bed now.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to assist us in identifying your distinctive caterpillar.

Update:  September 26, 2013
One of our readers supplied a comment indicating this might be the caterpillar of the Sparshalli Moth,
Trichiocercus sparshalli, and based on photos on the Brisbane Insect Website and Butterfly House, we agree.

Location: New South Wales, Australia

6 Responses to Sparshalli Moth Caterpillar from Australia

1. Drhoz says:

Is the tuft at the head end? That probably means it’s an Anthelid. Which admittedly doesn’t narrow it down much…

• Tracy says:

Yes, the tuft is on the head end.
      If you can access the video, it shows his/her underside and face fairly well….
      Thanks for the response, I’ll do some research based on that 🙂

2. Zee says:

I believe it’s a Sparshalli Moth caterpillar, Trichiocercus sparshalli.

We will try to locate a link.

• Drhoz says:

Looks like you’re right – Sparshall’s Trichiocercus. Brisbane Insects and Australian Lepidoptera both have good photos. To my complete shock, it looks like I had the very same species turn up on my windscreen recently – but the golden yellow form.

3. Tracy says:

Thankyou so much 🙂