Subject: Prepupal Spicebush Swallowtail Caterpillar
Location: New Jersey
September 10, 2013 7:15 am
Can you tell me how long before we have an emergence? I would like to video if around at the time. These are the latest pictures from this morning. Thank you! 🙂
Signature: Interested, Barbara

Spicebush Swallowtail Chrysalis

Spicebush Swallowtail Chrysalis

Hi Barbara,
Even though Mike sent the original photo, we suspect your Spicebush Swallowtail Chrysalis is the same as the pre-pupal Spicebush Swallowtail Caterpillar we recently posted.  Normally we would expect eclosion of the adult to occur in a few weeks, but this individual might be preparing to pass the winter as a chrysalis.

Yes, it is the same. I had posted the picture to FB that Mike copied and sent to you because I was inquiring if anyone knew what it was and couldn’t find anything online. He is the Pastor at our churchJ and found your site. He is very resourceful. Thank you for the information. So, we just wait and watch. I am hoping those little silky threads can sustain it through winter and windsJ thank you for your time in responding to me! Barbara (and Father Mike)

Location: New Jersey