Subject: Female Cross Orbweaver?
Location: Northern Central New Jersey
September 11, 2013 8:13 am
Hi ,
I thought you might be interested in my new acquaintance. I call her Orba. I believe (correct me if I’m wrong) that it’s a female Cross Orbweaver spider. I’ve been walking by her for nearly a month now. Her webs are expansive, intricate and three-dimensional. She’ll take them down and seem to disappear only to reappear by the next day or so building an entirely new intricate web. I can’t get my camera real close to her as there are layers of web from whatever angle I can get. I don’t want to muss up her living quarters! She appeared in mid-August and is still doing very well now as I write this. Love your site! (And I love shooting insects with my camera!)
Signature: Jackie in Jersey

Cross Orbweaver

Cross Orbweaver

Hi Jackie,
We agree that your spider, which matches this image on BugGuide, appears to be a Cross Orbweaver,
Araneus diadematus, though we cannot see the pedipalps visible on the BugGuide image, so we can’t say for certain this is a female.  The sexes are more equal in size in the Cross Orbweaver than in many other Orbweavers.  The Cross Orbweaver is a species that gained fame in 1973 when Anita and Arabella went into space aboard Skylab 3, which is mentioned in About.comYour photo of the web actually appears to be two distinct orbs, which would mean two individual spiders.

Two Orb Webs

Two Orb Webs

Location: New Jersey