Subject: Cicada killer with prey
Location: Roe, Monroe County, Arkansas
September 10, 2013 8:33 am
Thought I’d share this lucky shot with my cell phone camera! Taken 10:15 AM 9/10/2013 in Monroe County, AR. I was sitting on my porch enjoying the sunshine, and saw something fall from the tree. I was thrilled to watch this cicada killer drag her prey up the tree, where she paused above my hammock rope long enough for me to take a picture.
Signature: Sherry Young

Cicada Killer and Prey

Cicada Killer and Prey

Hi Sherry,
We believe this is the only photo of a Cicada Killer and her prey we have received this year.  Cicada Killers often drag paralyzed Cicadas up a tree or other high spot because they can then glide and fly toward the underground nest.  It is very difficult to gain altitude from the ground with such a heavy load.

Location: Monroe County, Arkansas

2 Responses to Cicada Killer with Prey

1. Sherry says:

This is the first time I have ever managed to catch one in action, so glad I had my phone with me and was able to get close enough to get a decent picture! I stood and observed her for a few minutes, it was very cool to watch her laying her eggs. After about 3 minutes, she dropped her prey and flew off. I was careful to keep my daughter and the cats away so she could have the time to come back and retrieve her incubator and drag it to the nest!

My youngest daughter has Autism, and is as fascinated by bugs as her momma. Since we home school, WTB is a frequently visited site where we can look for insects we see in our yard, find other people who have seen them as well, and help her learn her states by finding on a map where the last person saw the same bug 🙂

Hi again Sherry,
      This is the second time we have received word that using our website has been beneficial to children with autism. You might enjoy this Fanmail posting from several years ago. We are intrigued that you watched the Cicada Killer laying eggs since we were always under the impression that a female Cicada Killer did not deposit an egg on the paralyzed Cicada until after it was buried in the underground nest.