Subject: An Intimate Photoshoot
Location: Singapore
September 9, 2013 10:27 am
I thought you’d appreciate these beauties! I have loved rearing these common palmflies and it’s been sad to see them go – enjoy the photos!
Signature: Cassia

Common Palmfly Caterpillar Hatching

Common Palmfly Caterpillar Hatching

Dear Cassia,
Thanks so much for sending us your metamorphosis images of a Common Palmfly Butterfly,
Elymnias hypermnestra agina, which our readers can learn more about on Butterflies of Singapore where it states:  “The Common Palmfly is the most widespread species of its genus in the Indo-Australian region. Locally, it is also a rather common species with widespread occurrence across multiple habitats. Typically the adults are shade-loving, and usually sighted flying along the edge of vegetated area and in the vicinity of a clump of palm trees. The adults have the habit of puddling and visiting flowers for mineral and energy intakes.”  Sadly, there are no photos showing the opened wings, but we found one on ThaiBugs.

Common Palmfly Caterpillar

Common Palmfly Caterpillar

Your email did not provide much information.  Do you raise the caterpillars or did you just photograph wild individuals?  We believe we might have answered that question when we searched for a link in our own archive.  The only other example of the Common Palmfly in our archive was submitted by you last year.

Common Palmfly

Common Palmfly

Location: Singapore