Subject: Muskmare
Location: near Tell City, Indiana
I took this picture yesterday in The Hoosier National Forest at the campground near Celina Lake in Southern Indiana. From the images on this website I believe it’s a mating pair of Muskmare but it seems that the other pictures of these guys were taken much further south. I’d just like to know for sure what they are.
Thanks.
Signature: Robin

Probably Northern Walkingsticks Mating

Probably Northern Walkingsticks Mating

Dear Robin,
In our opinion, this is a mating pair of Northern Walkingsticks, Diapheromera femorata, and not Muskmares.  See BugGuide for more information on the Northern Walkingstick.

Thanks a bunch Daniel but the northern walking stick doesn’t look anything
like what I saw. Please take a look at the photo I’ve attached below.
Thank you,
Robin

Hi Robin,
We will check with Eric Eaton and get his opinion.

We Stand Corrected:  Eric Eaton identifies Northern Two-Striped Walkingsticks
Wow, must be from southwest Indiana, as this is a mostly southern U.S. walkingstick, the Northern Two-striped Walkingstick, Anisomorpha ferruginea.  More from Bugguide:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/93384
Currently no records there from Indiana, and I wonder if it is even known from there period.  Please suggest the person post the image(s?) there.  Also, it is important to note these insects are well-known for squirting a milky substance from glands in the “neck” as a self-defense maneuver.  They aim for the eyes of their attacker and it is a serious matter if one gets sprayed (potential corneal damage).  Handling them is not recommended.

Location: Tell City, Indiana