Subject: Mantis Love
Location: SW Ohio
Yesterday, I sent you a picture of a mantis depositing an ootheca behind the butterfly bushes. Well, as I said, it’s a happening spot. Here’s some mantis-love.
Signature: Kitsa

Mating Mantids

Mating Mantids

Subject: Mantis in the act of depositing ootheca
Location: SW Ohio
My butterfly bushes are popular with mantids, and the warm brick behind them serves as a handy Labor and Delivery ward for them this time of year.
Normally they just seem to spring into existence, but I was very lucky today to stumble upon this small mantis in the act of depositing one. I was really excited and tried to watch as closely as I could without stressing her out too much (she did swivel her head to keep an eye on me when I got too close).
Here’s a picture, taken with the regrettably grainy camera on my phone. It was all I had with me.
Signature: Kitsa

Mantis Deposits Ootheca

Mantis Deposits Ootheca

Hi Kitsa,
Thanks for sending both of your images and the wonderful descriptions.  The butterfly bush has obviously become an important contributing factor to the Preying Mantis population in your garden.

Location: Ohio