Subject: Red and black beetle on coast live oak
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Found this large beetle investigating the trunk on a coast live oak at the San Luis Obispo Botanic Garden.
Signature: Linda Eremita

Ha, I figured it out. It’s the adult California Glowworm.

California Glowworm

California Glowworm

Hi Linda,
Though California Glowworm is the common name for
Ellychnia californica, this beetle is actually a Diurnal Firefly.  We believe this is the first image of an adult California Glowworm posted to our site.  According to BugGuide it is found:  “Throughout CA, but seems to be more common from Sacramento south to the San Bernardino Mountains” and the habitat it favors is “on flowers and grassy vegetation, esp. in moist habitats.”  We sometimes get images of Glowworms from California, but these glowing larvae are in the family Phengodidae.

Location: San Luis Obispo, California

8 Responses to California Glowworm

1. Mitchel says:

I live outside of Redding in northern CA. I found a little bug in my lawn that was glowing neon green like a little peace of glow stick. I was night time and totally stood out in the dark. Been here all my life and never seen one before. Is this normal?

Most California Glowworms are reported from higher elevations. They are present, but not necessarily common.

2. Dorothy Hampton says:

We have them here on the humboldt coast also. We used to take our son out at night to look for them. They seemed to like cold moist areas.

3. Gregory N Parker says:

In Redding California I occasionally come upon a small worm (or larvae) about 1/4 of an inch long and it has a spot on it that glows lava red at night. I always wonder when I see one ( is that an unextinguished cigarette cherry? ) I have only seen 3 in my 30 years up here. very cool!

4. John-O says:

i found three tonight. pink body with a green glow on it’s tail. I’m in Pollock Pines, El Dorado county Ca. I’ll try to get some photos.

5. Gary says:

I found two pink Body and neon green lights on their tails. They have appear the last four nights in the same area at our place in Guerneville CA

6. Katryn says:

I’ve found one in the yard under the redwoods in eureka. It has two green fluorescent dots that look like glowing eyes.

7. I live in Sly Park Hills in Pollock Pines. I was outside in the dark looking for the BIG full moon. Looking up into our sentinel trees when I noticed literally hundreds of blinking lights. Thought it might have been stars blinking through trees, but on closer observation they we’re something flying. This is December 3, 2017 – NOT June or July? What am I seeing?