Subject: This is the Biggest Thing I’ve Ever Seen!
Location: Regina Saskatchewan
I think this is a Achemon Sphinx catapiller. It’s very large! I live in Regina, Saskatchewan. When I first found it, it was a very pale beige. Within an hour it turned dark beige, by morning it was reddish.
It has a fake ”eye” on it’s back end with white markings along it’s sides.
If this is indeed what I think it is, is this common in Saskatchewan? I’ve never seen one before.
Signature: Darlean

Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

Hi Darlean,
We agree that this is an Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar, and the fact that it darkened most likely indicates that it is preparing to pupate.  The Sphingidae of the Americas Saskatchewan page lists the Achemon Sphinx, but there is no information on its local population.  On the Sphingidae of the Americas species page, Bill Oehlke writes:  “This species is not often seen in Manitoba, but can be quite common further to the south in most of the United States.”  We are speculating that the same might apply to Saskatchewan.  There must be a larval food plant nearby, and providing a source of food is a good way to ensure that a species will proliferate in a given area.  According to the Sphingidae of the Americas:  “Eumorpha achemon larvae feed upon Grape (Vitis), Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) and other vines and ivies (Ampelopsis).”  Since the species is not common in Manitoba, Bill Oehlke might be interested in your Saskatchewan sighting, so we are copying him on this response.

Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

11 Responses to Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

1. jenny B says:

i have a little video (not shot professionally) of one of these fellows in colorado if you would like it, you may use it. my caterpillar, i gather from your site, was heading to the ivy when i stopped him and plunked him on the lawn. poor fellow. so near and yet so far.

2. Sharon says:

We had two in our yard this summer in Neepawa Manitoba. We do have Virginia creeper in our yard. We have never seen any before.

3. Michelle Bush says:

we have spotted one in Carberry MB on Aug 22, crawling across the sidewalk. he’s formidable indeed!!!

4. Shirley Miller says:

I found one on the lawn in my backyard today. There is Virginia Creeper in the yard.

5. Fawn Redwood says:

I also live in Regina and just seen one yesterday. I also have vines in my yard. I have seen one every year but not this color.

6. Heather says:

We just found one of these in our garden today. We have grape vines and Virginia Creeper. What do these become?

7. Irene Solbeck says:

Found one in our yard today, Brandon, MB. And, yes, we have Virginia Creepers in our yard, too!

8. Barb Schaefer says:

Yesterday (August 25, 2019) I found about 40-50 of these on my Virginia Creepers, last year I had found one and I’d never seen them before. I live in Macoun, SK. I have pictures if you’d like, some are huge and pale or green others are smaller and brownish colour and look as if they have a tail where the “eye” is on bigger ones.

9. Kristen Barr says:

I Just found one on my grape vine and had no idea what it was. I had never seen one before today in Regina, Saskatchewan

10. Bon says:

We live in Regina and have found 5 today