Subject: Tetraopes tetraophthalmus? Inter-species love?
Location: Niagara, ON
Hello WTB,
Loving the site as always. I wanted to share this photograph I managed to capture last week near Port Colborne, ON (Niagara region). I found this monarch caterpillar and red milkweed beetle (Tetraopes tetraophthalmus, I think?) sharing an intimate moment on a common milkweed along the Lake Erie shoreline. I hope this was a friendly encounter!
Signature: Alison

Monarch Caterpillar meets Red Milkweed Beetle

Hi Alison,
We love your photo and we can predict that our readership is going to love this photo as well.  We have no idea what is going on and we suspect it is just a chance meeting, but it sure makes for interesting and provocative viewing.  Neither the Monarch Caterpillar nor the Red Milkweed Beetle is a predator, so we don’t believe either is going to make a meal out of the other.

Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada

2 Responses to Monarch Caterpillar meets Red Milkweed Beetle

1. Alicia says:

I have twice witnessed a similar event in my garden. In each case, though, the beetle had a death grip with its mandibles on a monarch caterpillar and was dragging it away. Once I went quickly to the house to get a jar to catch it, but unfortunately it was gone by the time I returned. I could not find the beetle, nor the caterpillar. I do not see the beetles when there are no caterpillars present, but I have never seen a Monarch chrysalis on any of my plants, nor any where in the garden and I have been searching for them every year since 1985, so I have presumed that the beetle finds erery monarch larva the appears in my garden!