Subject: Emerging stink bug
Location: Patapsco State Park, Maryland
September 3, 2013 11:29 am
Hi Bugman,
Long time reader, first time submitter. I used your site and BugGuide to determine that this is an emerging brown marmorated stink bug, which in itself is not very exciting, but i think the photos are pretty cool. Feel free to share on your site, in case other people are also interested in them!
I found this guy sitting on my car this morning. The specimen shown on BugGuide seems to have wings, but I didn’t see any on mine…
Signature: Stephanie, science nerd

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Metamorphosis

Hi Stephanie,
It is always nice to hear about a long time reader who submits images for the first time.  Your Brown Marmorated Stink Bug metamorphosis images are quite wonderful, especially because they nicely illustrate how the newly molted insect is much lighter in color, and it will soon darken.  The little guy really appears to be struggling.  The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug,
Halyomorpha halys, is an invasive, exotic species that was accidentally introduced to North America in Pennsylvania back in the late 1990s, but it has spread quite rapidly according to BugGuide.  We found them in Ohio this summer and last week there was an individual on our window screen in Mount Washington, Los Angeles.  Your individual is still a nymph, and it will not be fully winged until its final molt into an adult.  More information on this invasive species can be found on the University of California Integrated Pest Management page.

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Nymph, freshly molted.

Location: Patapsco State Park, Maryland