Subject: Two Larva Eat and Kill Mouse
Location: Mass USA
I caught a mouse in my kitchen. I come to find I was able to because it was injured. I put it into a clear cage to show the kids. I come to find the mouse has a hole in its stomach and Two protruding round items imbedded inside. Which I thought were ticks. The mouse is almost dead anyways. So I decide to keep it in the container and wait to see what happens. I check the next day after work and find the bugs detached from the mouse. Each about a half inch long wiggling around. Not really moving in any direction but just wiggling. I also showed this to a friend who’s an exterminator and he says he’s never seen anything like it, also the mouse may be a rat. If that helps. I’ve always been into bugs and snakes, etc. I have never seen anything like this before. Should I be worried seeing as I caught the mouse in the house?
Signature: Matt

Bot Fly Larva emerges from Mouse

Bot Fly Larva emerges from Mouse

Dear Matt,
Bot Fly or Warble Fly Larvae in the family Oestridae are common endoparasites in mammals, especially rodents.  The adult Bot Fly resembles a bumble bee.  From what we have read, the larvae do not kill the host, so perhaps your mouse died of other causes, or perhaps in the case of small animals, the Bot Fly Larvae can do significant damage.  We will copy Bot Fly specialist Jeff Boettner to see if he can add any information.

Bot Fly Larvae

Bot Fly Larvae

Location: Massachusetts

8 Responses to Bot Fly Larvae emerge from Mouse

1. Theresa Vogel says:

HELP!!!! We have found these larvae by dead mouse under our sink. What do we need to do? please respond.

2. Leanna Hammer says:

Please I have the same concern!! I have been overrun by mice and found my first “larvae” in early September! I have small dogs. Do I need to be concerned for them or myself or my small grandchildren?

3. Ashley says:

Hi there! I have a school project to do and its due tomorrow and it must include an intreview. May you please answer these questions. Please.
    1)what is the botfly common name and scientific name?
    2)Where are they found (geographical range)
    3)what are the symptoms of the botfly
    4)what causes the disease or parasitic infection?
    5) are there any vectors?
    6)what is or is there a treatment?
    7)who discovered the botfly (who,when,where,and why)?
    8)how can you avoid a botfly?
    9)is there a cure?
    10)life style/or progression of the larvae
    Thank you for your time💖💜

4. Katherine A Hawkins says:

This also happened today at my house. The mouse was killed by a mouse trap. Then I find 4 of these wiggling things on my counter behind my microwave. What do I need to do. I disposed of one I squashed in the toilet and flushed. The other 3 I put outside in the woods?

5. Jen says:

wow I just found some of these by a deer mouse that got killed in trap
    never seen anything like it. and cats eat these mouse, ., we don’t know what mouse carry

6. Kevin Bates says:

I have been finding these next to Mice killed in traps as well. Nice to know that it isn’t termites or some other infestation. I’m just tossing them in the woods. Wouldn’t want them to use me as a host!

7. samuel macdonald says:

What if your cat eats these larva when they eat the mouse?

• Graeme Bregani says:

My cat doesn’t eat the parasite.
      She leaves one mouse organ (gallbladder ?) and the grub. I’ve found several in southern B.C.
      I’d flush them rather than help them spread.