Subject: Is This Thing from Narnia
Location: Raleigh, NC
We found this bug just crawling around near our house in the grass. It looks like it could be some type of catepillar but it’s HUGE. Help?!
Signature: Freaked Out Dude

Hickory Horned Devil

Hickory Horned Devil

Dear Freaked Out Dude,
Your photo of a Hickory Horned Devil is awesome.  This is the largest caterpillar in North America.  It feeds on the leaves of hickory, walnut and several other native trees.  The caterpillars are rarely noticed until late in the summer when they leave the trees they are feeding upon and find a suitable place on the ground to dig and pupate.  In the spring, they emerge as adult Royal Walnut Moths.  Some of our readers have compared Hickory Horned Devils to colorful Chinese dragons.  They are perfectly harmless, despite the fearsome appearance.

Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

3 Responses to Hickory Horned Devil

1. SAMANTHA says:

I LOVE YOUR PICTURES. THEY ARE SO COOL. I’M ELEVEN YEARS OLD AND I GOT TO TOUCH A HICORY HORNED DEVIL IN CLASS. I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO TOUCHED IT AND WAS WILLING TO TOUCH IT WITHOUT FREAKING OUT. I MADE A WEBSIT WITH THIS TEXT BOX AND MORE AS WELL[FORM] GO TO K&S PRODUCTIONS.HTML

2. Chris Simmons says:

Found a Hickory Horn Devil in Randolph County West Virginia.