Subject: Is this a Hickory Horned Devil?
Location: Covington County South Alabama
My girlfriend and I return home after church this pass Sunday August 25, 2013 to find this impressive and intimidating caterpillar waiting to great us sitting on our front porch, it stayed and visited until Monday night some time and guess it then departed on its way to burrow in the ground, I do have large hickory nut trees in my yard and didn’t know if this could be the Hickory Horned Devil, I have never seen one of these in all my years, but it did place my mind into a state of awe and shock. I live in Covington County Alabama close to the Florida state line right out of the city of Andalusia, Al. Any help on identifying this magnificent creature would be appreciated and thanks before hand for your time and effort if you get to this.
Signature: Joey Russ

Pine Devil

Pine Devil

Hi Joey,
Your caterpillar resembles a Hickory Horned Devil because it is a close relative in the same genus, a Pine Devil,
Citheronia sepulcralis.  You can compare your image to this photo on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide:  “Larvae feed on several species of pine (Pinus), including Pitch Pine (Pinus rigida), Eastern White Pine (P. strobus), and Caribbean Pine (P. caribaea).  Adults do not feed.”

Location: Covington County, Alabama