Subject: Flame Skimmer (Libellula Saturata)
Location: Northern part of Grand Tetons National Park
Greetings!
My family and I just got back from a vacation to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier National Park. True to form, I think I took more pictures of insects (and the occasional arachnid) than anything else- they have a rather different crop of bugs out west than we do in our native Missouri. My favorite was this handsome skimmer. He looked like amber in the bright sunlight, and though several of his relatives were zipping about, he was the only one near enough to the bank for me to snap his photo. I had to balance precariously on a small rock in a rapids below a waterfall to do so, though, inching the camera ever-so-slowly closer to keep him from darting off.
Anyway, after a thorough scouring of BugGuide and WTB, I think I’ve got him pinned down as a male Flame Skimmer (Libellula Saturata). I always enjoy WTB, and I hope you enjoy this picture!
Signature: Most sincerely, Helen

Flame Skimmer

Flame Skimmer

Hi Helen,
Thank you for your lovely photo of a Flame Skimmer and your detailed letter.  We were away from the office when you submitted this and we are just now catching up on a bit of unanswered mail.

Location: Grand Tetons National Park, Wyoming