Subject: What is this bug
Location: Guadalajara Mexico
I live in Guadalajara Mexico and there are these bugs everywhere. I have been here for three years now and this is the first year that I have seen them.
Signature: Jeffeory

Unidentified True Bug

Bordered Plant Bug

Dear Jeffeory,
We have seen photos of this True Bug in the past, and we believe we even have an example in our archives, however, we are not currently able to identify it.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck and provide us with an identification.

Identification Courtesy of Karl
Hi Daniel and Jeffeory:
I see that a few comments have already been submitted regarding this bug but I think I will weigh in as well with some additional information. I came across large numbers of these nymphs earlier this year while on a hike near Chirripo National Park in Costa Rica. To be clearer, they looked pretty much exactly like the one in Jeffeory’s photo. Unfortunately, there were no adults associated with them so identification was quite challenging. I finally decided that they were Bordered Plant Bugs (Largidae) in the genus Stenomacra, possibly S. marginella, which ranges from the southern USA to at least as far south as Costa Rica. However, there are several other Stenomacra species in the region and I was not able track down enough descriptive information for the nymphs of these species to conclusively eliminate them as candidates. This particular black and orange color scheme appears to be common for Stenomacra species as well as some Largus species. Actually, Largus marginella is a junior synonym for Stenomacra marginella. So Cesar and Zee were probably both close to the mark with the comments they provided. I would go with Stenomacra sp. based on body form and overall appearance. Regards.  Karl

Location: Guadalajara, Mexico

8 Responses to Bordered Plant Bug from Mexico

1. Zee says:

It might be a nymph of the Bordered Plant Bug, Stenomacra marginella. http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/10978103