Subject: Giant Wasp?
Location: Oak Lawn IL
I am trying to figure out what this hige wasp looking bug is, all of a sudden they are in my yard around my pool and this one pictured ended up drowning so I was able to snap some photos. Help please they are terrifying the family from going outside.
Signature: Dean P

Cicada Killer drowned in pool

Cicada Killer drowned in pool

Dear Dean,
This is a drowned Cicada Killer Wasp.  Cicada Killers are solitary wasps and they are not considered to be aggressive.  Female Cicada Killers, once they have mated, will dig a burrow and provision it with paralyzed Cicadas that they drag back to feed their larvae.  The female Cicada Killer stings the Cicada to paralyze it so that the meat will stay fresh and the developing larva eats its still living meal.  Male Cicada Killers will aggressively defend territory, however, they lack stingers and are perfectly harmless.  Occasionally we receive a report that someone has been stung by a Cicada Killer, but those reports are quite rare.

Location: Oak Lawn, Illinois

2 Responses to Cicada Killer drowned in pool

1. Jeremy says:

I have been researching what I thought was a hornet but since i read about the cicadas killer I’m thinking that’s what i have at my home in SE KY. my only doubts are that mine seem very large and have more yellow on them but they do kill cicadas. Do any other’s kill cicadas.