Subject: I’m guessing it’s a robber fly. Am I right or wrong?
Location: Little River, Va
This is the first time I have encountered this insect.
It flew into our cabin & would not leave.
I was scared to mess with it too much because it looks like it could fight back.
After some googling, I am guessing it is a robber fly.
Am I right or wrong?
Thank you.
Signature: Heather

Robber Fly, we presume

Robber Fly, we presume

Dear Heather,
We apologize for the tardy response.  We spent a bit of time trying to identify your insect, which we also believe to be a Robber Fly, but we were unable to find an identification prior to leaving town for two and a half weeks.  Then time just got away from us and we never created the posting which we have now remedied.  We will send this image to Eric Eaton to see if he can provide any information.

Location: Little River, Virginia

One Response to Probably Robber Fly

1. anita says:

I saw a large insect today. looked kind of like a dragonfly and horsefly. huge eyes and big abdomen. it turned its head to watch me, then suddenly a bee flew in front of me and this thing flew up and grabed it “in flight”, right in front of my face. WOW ! II don’t like bees, but I’m glad it got the bee
    instead of me. I looked it up, and sure enough it was a robber fly. Awesome.