Subject: What is this bug??
Location: Palmdale, California
We live in the southern desert of California. It has been over 100 degrees Fahrenheit recently with a couple thunderstorms and even flash floods the past few days; so it’s been humid. We’ve been finding many strange bugs, but we can’t identify this one! There were two that we saw, about the sign of a nickel. Yellow and dark brown/black. I think they can fly. Any help appreciated as this we found them in a spot where my young daughter likes to play. Thank you!!!!!
Signature: Thanks for your time!

Red Headed Ash Borer

Red Headed Ash Borer

This is a Red Headed Ash Borer, Neoclytus acuminatus, and you may read more about them on BugGuide.  Red Headed Ash Borers are not dangerous to humans, however, like other members of the Longhorned Borer Beetle family Cerambycidae, they have strong mandibles and they might give a painful nip that could cause a young child to cry.

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much! That’s definitely it and makes sense because we have planted some ash trees. 🙂
Have a great weekend!!!

Location: Palmdale, California

2 Responses to Red Headed Ash Borer

1. Thank you much for the information. I am in Lancaster, Ca. (right next to Palmdale) and my husband just did a large prune job on our fruitless Mulberry tree. I found several of these beetles climbing on the cut would afterwards. My neighbor has an Ash tree so perhaps that explains them crawling about? Anyway, it’s wonderful to know what they are now and I’ll read all about them on the Bug Guide now. Thanks again!