Subject: interesting bug
Location: northern Illinois/Chicago suburbs
I live in northern Illinois and found this guy outside this morning. It is maybe about an inch long, greenish grey, and long wings. Any ideas?
Signature: Stacy

Stonefly

Spring Fishfly

Hi Stacy,
You must live near a source of water.  This is a Stonefly in the order Plecoptera, but we are uncertain of the species.  See BugGuide for more information on Stoneflies.

Thanks so much!  Yes, there is a marshy area across the street.  The weather up where we are has been unusually cold, so I think he was sunning himself on our house for a good part of the day.  I looked up the info on a Stonefly and for sure, it’s a match!  Thanks for the info and the quick response.  I appreciate it.

Correction:   Spring Fishfly
August 17, 2013
Thanks to a comment from Joshua, we are admitting that in a hurry we misidentified this Fishfly, mistaking it for a Stonefly.  See BugGuide for a matching image of a female Spring Fishfly,
Chauliodes rastricornis.

Location: Chicago, Illinois

2 Responses to Spring Fishfly

1. Joshua says:

I wouldn’t say stonefly, check out Fishflies, genus Chauliodes in Megaloptera.

Thanks for the correction. That will teach us to be more careful when postdating over thirty letters in a short period of time. We got a bit careless.