Subject: Big beetle in Maine
Location: Small Point, Maine marsh next to ocean
So, I found a bug in the road at a campground and ran it up to my son (since he loves bugs). He didn’t fly and gave my son a good pinch that drew blood. (Two little punctures)
We’re just curious what it was.
He was pretty big (the pic shows my husbands hand for reference.).
Signature: Rebecca

Predaceous Diving Beetle

Predaceous Diving Beetle

Hi Rebecca,
This is a Predaceous Diving Beetle, an aquatic predator.  They are not dangerous, but as you and your son found it, they can bite if carelessly handled.  Though they are aquatic, Predaceous Diving Beetles can fly from pond to pond.

Predaceous Diving Beetle

Predaceous Diving Beetle

awesome. it did give him a good bite, which led to blood (exciting!).  we needed to know what type of bug so we can anticipate which superpowers he can be expecting.  thanks!

Location: Small Point, Maine

2 Responses to Predaceous Diving Beetle

1. jennifer says:

Hello, my daughter recently received a bug vacuum and bug observation bin. Today she found (with the help of our puppy) what we think (from reading your website) is a predaceous diving beetle. What I am wondering is… Is it common to find these bugs in the city? I am not aware of any ponds or streams near my house. Our pit bull found it in the dry grass. She was VERY happy with herself…. We will definitely be frequent users of this website as both of my children are very curious about bugs. And now that they can catch and observe them , it seems this will be our summer project. Collecting and identifing bugs. Thank you for reading my email hope to hear back soon as we are very curious as to how or why this big guy came to be in our yard.