Subject: Is this some kind of stick but?
Location: Montgomery, Texas near Lake Conroe
Is this some kind of stick bug? Are there 2 here? Are they mating? Or is the little one the baby? My son’s dog was sniffing and jumped like it got stung/bit! Eyes were a little swollen and watering for about a day. Do they bite or sting?
Signature: Laurie

Mating Muskmares

Mating Muskmares

Hi Laurie,
This is a pair of Two Striped Walkingsticks in the genus Anisomorpha, and they are also commonly called Muskmares because they are frequently spotted in flagrante delicto with the diminutive male riding his musky mate.  The musk is actually a noxious spray that they are reported to aim into the eyes of any attacker with amazing accuracy.  According to BugGuide:  “Members of this genus can deliver a chemical spray to the eyes that can cause corneal damage.”  Thank you for your report that this defense mechanism is real.  We hope your dog recovered from his encounter.  Other than the chemical warfare, Muskmares are not known to bite or sting.

Thank you so much for your response!!!!  I’ll share this info with everybody on my facebook that wanted to know!  🙂 

What’s That Bug does have a Facebook page, and your posting will go live on our site, but not until August 6.  We are preparing for a trip away from the office and we like to have daily postings when we are absent, so we postdate some submissions to go live while we are away.

That’s great!  I’ll look for the Facebook page and “like” it! 🙂

Location: Montgomery, Texas

2 Responses to Mating Muskmares

1. Tammy says:

Are these bugs only common to a certain area of the United States.