Subject: Dino-Sloth-Bug?
Location: Richmond, Virginia
I noticed this bug about two weeks ago–possibly longer. I first took its picture with my phone a week ago today because the bug in question was so distinctive looking, kind of (in my eyes) like a miniature dinosaur–or at least, perhaps, a dinosaur-looking monster from a low budget 1950s sci-fi movie.
I took its picture again today–this time with a real camera–because, like some kind of sloth bug, it hasn’t moved from the same flower for over two weeks. That seems unusual to me.
In the first picture, note the white cocoon-like thing next to the bug.
Thanks for your help.
[This is a second submission; earlier today, the first submission, with larger image files, bogged down. If the first try actually went through and this is a repeat, I apologize for the unintended re-submission.]
Signature: E.W.

Ambush Bug

Ambush Bug

Dear E.W.,
This effective predator is an Ambush Bug in the Assassin Bug subfamily Phymatinae.  It looks like this Jagged Ambush Bug in the genus
Phymata that is posted on BugGuide.  Ambush Bugs often wait on blossoms to ambush their prey.

Location: Richmond, Virginia