Subject: dangerous?
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
This fellow has set up camp inside my kitchen window. While I find it interesting to watch him catch his food, I miss having an open window. Can I safely move him to the back of the yard? What is he?
Signature: Sally B

Grass Spider

Grass Spider

Dear Sally B,
We believe because of the prominent pair of spinnerets, that this is a Grass Spider in the genus
Agelenopsis, as pictured on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide:  “Agelenopsis spp. spiders are “lightning-quick”; often people only get a glance of it before it disappears behind or under something” and “These spiders are docile and non-aggressive. They will flee at the first sign of a threat and will not bite unless they feel threatened without an option to escape. (e.g. – Trying to pick the spider up).”  The best way to relocate the Grass Spider is to trap it under a glass, slip a postcard under the opening and transport to a more suitable location.

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio