Subject: Infestation in insulation
Location: Ontario
Mounds of little black bugs are littering the concrete floor around the inside walls of a cold storage room in the crawl space under my solarium attached to my 11-year old house. They are apparently infesting the sprayed-on foam insulation in the walls and are falling out, most dead, some still moving. The two exterior walls of the cold room now have tiny black ants nesting in the insulation, and some make their way into my solarium. I’ve almost never used the cold room because it is too damp and ventilation is very inadequate.
I live in a wooded area in a little community on a small lake. It’s on a peninsula between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay in ontario.
Signature: Donna

Beetle Infestation

Weevil Infestation

Dear Donna,
Many small beetles that infest homes for various reasons look very similar.  We are requesting assistance with this identification.

Beetle Infestation

Weevil Infestation

Eric Eaton Responds
They are weevils of some kind, so they had to have originally fed on vegetable matter I believe….

Hi Again Donna,
Eric Eaton has identified your beetles as Weevils that feed on vegetable matter.  We cannot imagine what they were eating inside your walls.

Location: Ontario, Canada