Subject: Mecas cineracea – Unrepresented!!!
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hi, guys,
I sent this to you last week, but I know you’re super busy, so I kept looking. I found the wonderful TexasEndo.net site, and with the help of its Longhorned Beetle page, I think I may have found my guy! Sure looks a lot like Mecas cineracea Casey, according to the pic, which links to BugGuide. (Link:http://bugguide.net/node/view/510871) I searched for other Mecas members in your archives, but didn’t find any, at least not identified down to the species level, so I am sending them in again. Hope I’m right! (Frankly, I’ll be ecstatic to be close.) He was an inch and a half long, and looked to have a suede texture. (Described on BugGuide as ’ashy’.)
Signature: Melvis & Laugh

Ed. Note:  Here is the original message:
Subject: Stylish Suede Leather-y Beetle
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hi, guys,
I met this new friend this morning and snapped a few pics for you. He was sitting on an old pallet. The greenish-gray color was a perfect match for the weathered wood, and he had a great texture that resembled suede. I looked around BugGuide for a while, but there are so many beetles, my head was spinning. I hope you have better luck and enjoy this guy. He was robust, about an inch long, and has a distinctive set of markings.
Signature: Melvis & Laugh

Ash Gray Blister Beetle

Ash Gray Blister Beetle

Dear Melvis and Laugh,
We dug through our unanswered mail to locate your original message, and we are including that as part of this posting.  Your searching led you to a member of the Longhorn Beetle family, Cerambycidae, but the beetle in your photo is actually a Blister Beetle in the family Meloidae.  We believe it is either an Ash Gray Blister Beetle,
Epicauta fabricii, or a close relative.  So, though your identification is incorrect, both beetles could be described as “ashy” which might have led you to the wrong conclusion.

While I’m disappointed that I got it wrong, I’m glad that you got it right!  And I’m glad that I didn’t pick it up to feel the texture!! (I was tempted.)  Thanks a lot for all you do!

Location: San Antonio, Texas