Subject: Grass Carrying Wasp
Location: Southampton, NY
I apologize for not doing my due diligence when first submitting my photo a week or so ago. I should have searched the web sooner using obvious key words. The photo I submitted is clearly a Grass Carrying Wasp as the image shows it’s carrying grass! Pretty amazing. I’m glad to hear they’re not aggressive.
Many thanks for what you & your team are doing. I really enjoy looking through the posts.
Sincerely,
Lorelei
PS You need not respond as I know you are busy. Thanks again!
Signature: Lorelei

Grass Carrying Wasp

Grass Carrying Wasp

Hi Lorelei,
We are sorry we could not respond to your original request because we get considerably more identification requests during the summer than we do during the winter.  We are very happy you resubmitted your image once you found an identification for your Grass Carrying Wasp in the genus
Isodontia because there is only a single (not very detailed) image of a Grass Carrying Wasp in action on our site, though we do have a few photos of the nests of Grass Carrying Wasps provisioned with Tree Crickets.  The Penn State Entomology website provides this information:  “The adult wasps emerge from their cocoons in early summer, mate, and the females locate a suitable nest site. She collects blades of grass and grass and hay stems to line the nest cavity. The wasp can be seen flying through the air with the blades trailing beneath her. She lands at the hole and enters, pulling the blade in behind her. After the nest is prepared, she hunts for tree crickets (i.e., Oecanthus sp.), captures and paralyses them with her sting, and transports them to the nest. She deposits eggs in the nest and the emerging larvae will feed on the living, but immobile crickets. When the larvae reach the appropriate size (in 4–6 days at 70–75° F.), they spin a cocoon and pupate. The adult wasps emerge in 2–3 weeks. In Pennsylvania, Isodontia mexicana typically produce two generations per year.”  Thank you for providing our site with this gap in our documentation.

Location: Southampton, New York

4 Responses to Grass Carrying Wasp

1. Hema Shah says:

Most Wasps seem to have a similar plan. Nesting site could be of different kind.

2. Hema Shah says:

some use crickets while some use caterpillars……

3. Lorelei Galardi says:

Thanks for your reply. I feel bad that you took time out to do so though. I certainly understand how busy you are and was not prodding – I was just so happy that I figured it out! I’m glad that you could use the photo. Thanks again for everything 🙂

The posting has already generated two comments other than your own, so it is obviously of interest to our readers. We are thrilled to have your image as part of our archives.