Subject: Spawn of Satan
Location: Latrobe, PA
This dude was found in Latrobe, PA. I was born and raised there and have never seen anything like it. Hope you can help
Signature: Dave

Female Dobsonfly

Female Dobsonfly

Dear Dave,
We believe “Spawn of Satan” is an awfully harsh name for this female DobsonflyMale Dobsonflies are even more frightening looking, and both are perfectly harmless, though a female might give a pinch if carelessly handled.  Dobsonflies are not uncommon in your area.  Lay off the Rolling Rock and try to familiarize yourself with more of the natural world around you.

Lol love the rolling rock reference.  Thanks guys. I’ve been living in vegas for the past 8 years and have been seeing “camel spiders” lately. Heard a rumor that they are native to the middle east and were  brought here by G.I.’s. Can you shed any light on this?

Yes we can.  There are large Camel Spiders in the Middle East, and there was some internet hysteria caused by a hoax inspired by a wide angle photograph that distorted the perspective and scale of two Camel Spiders held by a wrench that made the viral internet rounds many years ago.  North American species are considerably smaller, and by chance we profiled the Sun Spider of North America as our Bug of the Month last month.  Sun Spiders or Wind Scorpions as the North American Solifugids are commonly called are often victims of Unnecessary Carnage.

Location: Latrobe, Pennsylvania