Subject: Tarantula Hawk
Location: Chowchilla River, Madera County, CA
This falls into the interesting photo category. There were many of these working a good stand of flowering pennyroyal and mint (about all that’s flowering here at the moment).
Signature: Megan

Great Golden Digger Wasp

Great Golden Digger Wasp

Dear Megan,
This is not a Tarantula Hawk.  Tarantula Hawks are much larger and they are usually black with orange wings.  This is our favorite wasp that regularly visits our garden at the Mount Washington,  Los Angeles offices of What’s That Bug?  It is a Great Golden Digger Wasp and it is a species that if found coast to coast in North America.  Females hunt Katydids and their relatives to provision a nest for their young.  Great Golden Digger Wasps are solitary wasps and they are not aggressive.  When our onion flowers bloom in the garden, the Great Golden Digger Wasps come for the nectar.

Neat!  Thank you!  I guess because I saw lots of the standard black/orange Tarantula Hawks around, I thought this was one also.

Location: Madera County, California