Subject: Some kind of fly?
Location: Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada
I found this flying around my vegetable garden today and have not been even close to finding a similar kind online. Hopefully you have an idea? I live in Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada. It was taken on July 12, 2013 in the summer time, although it was a really windy and abnormally cool day of only 15 degrees Celsius today.
Signature: Weird garden bug!!! Guaranteed you’ve never seen one!

Tachinid FLy

Tachinid FLy

This is a Tachinid Fly, and it might possibly be Hystricia abrupta, which you may see on BugGuide.  Tachinid Flies are parasitoids, meaning they lay eggs on other insects and arthropods, and the developing larvae eventually kill the host.  Many Tachinid Flies are parasitoids of caterpillars.

Location: Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada

3 Responses to Tachinid Fly

1. Liam says:

We just found a tachinid fly today August 10 2013. In Grande prairie Alberta. It’s a rainy day and plus 19. Found him flying around the trees on the side of the house.
    Interesting looking Fly. We didn’t know what it was would like to learn more about it.

2. Koralee says:

I found one too. Fort McMurray, Alberta – August 16, 2013

Never seen one before

3. Nan Xander says:

Saw one today in Pocono Lake PA. First time I had ever seen one of these!