Subject: Eastern PA Beetle?
Location: Berks County, PA, USA
What is this bug? We found it today (July 12th) in eastern PA, in Berks County, It looks to be about 2 cm long and very buzzy. We live near ponds, creeks, farms and a horse pasture in the rolling foothills of the appalacian mountains. We caught it in a jar. The one picture is from the top, and the other is through the jar’s glass at the bottom. When we let it go it flew away quickly.
Signature: Bug catch and releaser.

Green June Beetle

Green June Beetle

Dear Bug catch and releaser,
This is a Green June Beetle,
Cotinis nitida, and according to BugGuide:  “The adults can often be seen in numbers flying just inches over turf.  The larvae may be considered pests because they destroy the roots of valuable plants.”

Location: Berks County, Pennsylvania

5 Responses to Green June Beetle

1. I absolutely LOVE this beetle! <3 they are so sweet and so precious! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

2. When we were kids, we would tie a piece of sewing thread to rear leg and enjoyed flying them around in circles around our bodies. Spent many hours doing this lots of fun, thank you green june bug. when I married, I moved to North centeral Fla. and my inlaws made fun of me when I caught a green june bug and told them the story of flying them when I was a child. They told me the bug was a dung beatle and rolled up cow patties. I know the bug is a fruit eater. Today I saw these same green bugs enjoying my sega palms in my front yard.

Thanks so much for sharing that childhood memory. We had read other accounts in the past and several years ago, we successfully flew a Figeater in Los Angeles.

3. kat says:

I have had the same june bug buzz my house every year for the 5-8 yrs, is this possible? he comes around the same time and buzzes the front porch & backyard then disappears until the next yr. he came today I tried to get a picture but he was to quick!