Subject: Red wasp? Puple-blue wings
Location: Northeast Texas
Hi! Thanks for reading, its a very commendable service you offer to us regular folks who know nothing about bugs. I live in Northeast Texas (Hopkins County) and I am no stranger to the red wasp, and have been stung so many times I can identify them in my sleep. We were INFESTED with them last year and I had an exterminator come at the beginning of the year and thankfully I have not seen any of the typical red paper wasps that we have (the meaner than hell boogers). Now for some reason, we are infested outside with these! They look like a red wasp, but they are faster, have bluish wings and like to crawl on the ground a lot. They don’t seem to be as aggressive as the paper wasp, but I haven’t given them much of a chance to chase me, but they seem more like the aggression of a dirt dauber because they don’t just stalk you down with the intent to kill. What are they?
Signature: Texas lady

Possibly Spider Wasp

Possibly Spider Wasp

Dear Texas lady,
We believe this is a Spider Wasp in the family Pompilidae.  We will do additional research.

Update:  July 12, 2013
We believe this might be a member of the genus Tachypompilus based on photos posted to BugGuide.

Location: Texas