Subject: Unidentified Bug – Cicero, NY
Location: Cicero, New York
Good morning,
Thank you for taking the time to view my question and photo. Attached is a photo of a bug and it’s cocoon, this is the second day in a row that the bug has hatched on the side of our garage door – in the exact same spot. On July 10th, the hatchling was noticed around 7:30 am and remained in the same place until it moved up into a corner of the garage door frame. The wings started as clear and then turned darker in color until it flew away near dusk (approx. 7:30 pm).
Any assistance is appreciated!
Signature: Natalie

Cicada Metamorphosis

Cicada Metamorphosis

Dear Natalie,
This is the metamorphosis of an Annual Cicada.  The immature stages or instars of the Annual Cicadas are found underground where the nymphs take nourishment from the roots of trees and shrubs.  When the time to metamorphose into an adult is at hand, the nymph climbs to the surface, climbs up a tree or wall and molts for the final time.  The adult Annual Cicada flies off leaving the exuvia or shed skin behind.  Annual Cicadas are sometimes called Dogday Harvestflies.

Thank you so much!  I thought that is what it was but wasn’t positive.  Have a great day!!  J
Natalie

Location: Cicero, New York