Subject: unknown (to me) bugs 1,2,3
Location: hungary, south shore of lake balaton
hallo,
1 – this brown-winged thing populates my willow tree in may. what is it and is it harmful to fruit trees e.g. cherry, plum, apricot, pear? or is it harmful to anything else?

Unknown Scarab

Cockchafer

2 – this ladybird-like thing – is it a ladybird and does it damage my grapes or anything else?

Unknown Beetle

Leaf Beetle:  Clytra quadripunctata

3 – found this in wood i was about to chop up
i like bugs and i have a redstart with babies at the moment so i do not want to destroy anything he might want to eat, am just curious about the critters. i can look them up on the net once i know what they are called.
thanks
sue
Signature: sue

Unknown Longicorn

Longicorn:  Cerambyx scopolii

Hi Sue,
Beetle #1 is a Scarab in the family Scarabidae, but we do not know the species.  Beetle #3 is a Longicorn in the family Cerambycidae, but we do not know the species.  Beetle #2 is striking in color and markings, but we cannot determine its family.  It somewhat resembles the Pleasing Fungus Beetles in the family Erotylidae, but your photo does not reveal enough of the physical characteristics to be certain. 

Location: Hungary

2 Responses to Three Hungarian Beetles

1. mardikavana says:

The first beetle is a female (females have a club like antennae but males antennae resemble a fan) Cockchafer (Melolontha sp.). There are three species in Europe but one of them is rare and occurs only in south-western Germany, so we have only two options. Proper way to distinguish between them is to look at the shape of the pygidium (posterior body segment) but the coloration of elyctra suggests that this is the Forest Cockchafer (Melolontha hippocastani).
    The second beetle is actually a Leaf Beetle but with untraditional shape. This lovely creature is Clytra quadripunctata and it has very interesting biology (http://www.thewcg.org.uk/chrysomelidae/0615.htm).
    The last beetle is a Cerambyx scopolii. The fact that you found it on wood suggests that it is some kind of tree suitable for its larvae.