Subject: Is this a stag beetle?
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania (Pittston)
I’m curious if this is a stag beetle and what type it is. This is the 2nd one I’ve seen the past two nights. I’ve been at my home over 10 years now, and this is the 1st time I’ve seen a beetle like this here. The photos are of the one I saw tonight. The one from last night was somewhat larger, and unfortunately, was not able to photograph in time. Since my dog actually found it on our back porch (and got a little pinch), I was wondering if this beetle is harmful to dogs?
Signature: Eric M

Stag Beetle Eyes Penny

Stag Beetle Eyes Penny

Dear Eric,
You are correct.  This is a Reddish Brown Stag Beetle, Lucanus capreolus.  It is a male and it is not harmful to people or pets, but you should be forewarned that he is capable of pinching and it is conceivable that a pinch might draw blood, but rest assured that the Stag Beetle has no toxins nor poisons known to man.  We hope your photo doesn’t start rumors that Stag Beetles and other bugs are responsible for our debt problems, especially given this home invasion.

Reddish Brown Stag Beetle

Reddish Brown Stag Beetle

Location: Pittston, Pennsylvania