Subject: Aussietrev Wattle Chafer
Location: Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,
seeing some impressive longicorns posted here lately and thought you may like these shots of our Australian Wattle Chafer. This beautiful beetle is one of three similar species that dine on the bark of young wattle trees. Wattles are a member of the legume family and act as a pioneer species helping regeneration in cleared areas. The beetles do little harm and don’t appear to have any long term effect on the tree. I hope I haven’t sent them to you before, senility might be setting in if I have.
Signature: aussietrev

Wattle Chafer

Wattle Chafer

Hi Trevor,
Thanks for sending us your gorgeous photos of a Wattle Chafer.  We are surmising that these photos were taken during the southern hemisphere summer in December or January.  We have been getting some impressive Longicorn photos, and we expect many more thoughout the summer.  We have always believed that having a bad memory left room for new thoughts.

Wattle Chafer

Wattle Chafer

We were unable to locate any Wattle Chafers so we searched the family Cerambycidae from Australia and found an image of Penthea pardalis on Csiro.  That led us to the Acacia Longicorn on the Brisbane Insect website.  We have always considered Chafers to be Scarabs, not Longicorns. 

Penthea pardalis

Penthea pardalis

Location: Queensland, Australia