Subject: a question – a blue moth from Ecuador
Location: Ecuador, Amazon basin, Napo, Cuyabeno
Dear Colleague,
I would like to ask you as expert on moths some enthomology information. In the attachment I sent you the photo of the tropical blue moth from Ecuador, Amazon basin, Napo Province, Cuyabeno. Can you help me, please, with the exact determination?
Thank you very much for your kind help.
Cordially,
Veronika P.
Signature: Veronika

Unknown Blue Moth

Unknown Blue Pyralid Moth

Dear Veronika,
We decided to check the quantity of email that arrived today prior to going to sleep, and we are posting your photo, but we will not begin to attempt to identify your blue moth until we awake.

Update:  Possibly Blue Tiger
Hi again Veronika.  Your moth resembles the Blue Tiger,
Hypocrita plagifera, pictured on the Learn About Butterflies website.  While it is not identical, it does look close enough to be related, which would mean it might be classed with the Tiger Moths in the subfamily Arctiinae.  We will contact Julian Donahue to see if he can provide any information.

Julian Donahue provides a correction:
It’s a pyralid! And there are bushels of colorful ones in the Neotropics.
Julian

thank you very much for your useful information, I am very glad. Originally, I found also the photo of Hypocrita plagifera on the website some time ago. But  since the graphics on the wings is not the same as I was not sure.
I am grateful for your help. I think it is not necessary to give this photo on the website. I would like to ask you to remove the photo of the blue moth from the web.
Thanks so much for your time and help :o)!
Cordially,
Veronika

With all due respect Veronika, we will not remove your photo from our website.  You used our standard form which has a disclaimer that all photos and information submitted might be posted on our site.  We spent considerable time doing research and formatting your photo and email for the web.  We contacted an expert who provided a family identification for your Pyralid Moth.  We did this all free of charge as a public service for you.  Your photo will remain live in our archives.

Thanks so much for your good news, Daniel, I am very pleased that my photo of the moth with blue wings was included in this nice form in your valuable entomological archive. Fingers crossed your virtuous activities :o)!
Veronika P.

Thank you Veronika,
Now that we have a family Pyralidae for your moth, we might be able to get a genus or species identification.

Location: Ecuador

One Response to Blue Moth from Ecuador is Pyralid Moth

1. LPJC says:

I photographed a very similar one in Colombia. I can find no help with ID other than this.