Subject: Caterpillars on Lake Okeechobee
Location: Okeechobee FL
June 24, 2013 6:24 am
We encounter TONS of these in the marshes of Lake Okeechobee FL during certain times of year, but I’ve never been able to identify what butterfly or moth they are. Can you help? Thank you SO much.
Signature: Karen D.

Unknown Caterpillar

Cattail Caterpillar

Hi Karen,
We tried unsuccessfully for some time to identify your Caterpillar, so we decided to just post the photo with the hope that our readership can assist in this identification.  It is a distinctive caterpillar, yet identification has proven elusive to us.

Unknown Caterpillar

Cattail Caterpillar

Well at least I know I’m not alone in having trouble with the ID! Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Update:  Cattail Caterpillar
Thanks to our wonderful network of readers, including Cesar Crash, Julian Donahue, the Lepidopterist’s Society and Betsy Betros, we know know that this is a Cattail Caterpillar,
Simyra insularis.  You can read about the Cattail Caterpillar on BugGuide.

Wonderful! I can’t tell you how long I’ve wondered about this. Thanks to the site and thanks to the readers.

Location: Okeechobee, Florida

4 Responses to What’s That Caterpillar??? Cattail Caterpillar

1. Julian Donahue says:

I posted the image on The Lepidopterists’ Society’s Facebook page, and got a similar response from Betsy Betros, with a link to photos on bugguide: https://www.facebook.com/lepsoc/posts/622957397714516?comment_id=31838123&offset=0&total_comments=1