Subject: Click Beetle
Location: Northern Costa RIca
Hi, I was trying to identify a click beetle that I found on my front door. Upon searching I found an image in your archives, https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2006/04/17/argentine-click-beetle/, of the the same species (at least it seemed the same to me). I identified it as Chalcolepidius limbatus, but upon further searching it seems that that species may only be from South America and my click beetle is from Costa Rica. So I found a almost identical looking beetle identified as C. bomplandi that supposedly is found here in Costa Rica. So I guess what I’m asking is if someone out there knows enough about click beetles to confirm or correct my ID’s?
Signature: Siggy

Click Beetle

Click Beetle

Dear Siggy,
We cannot say for certain that your Click Beetle is
Chalcolepidius bomplandi, but we do concur that it does greatly resemble that Costa Rican species which we found pictured on the South Dakota State University website which has a key to the species in the genus Chalcolepidius.  Your photos are quite lovely, but we had to crop and resize them for the internet which necessitated moving your name in the digital file.

Click Beetle

Click Beetle

Click Beetle

Click Beetle

Location: Costa Rica