Subject: Moth identification
Location: Pacific Northwest
Can you help me identify this lovely lady? I thought she was a cocoon of some sort until I got up close to her. It was not until after I snapped the photo and zoomed in on her that I realized the reason for her extreme stillness, notice the tiny green eggs she is laying. Photo taken by me, approximately 6 PM, 06/23/2013, Seattle, WA. Coincidentally, the evening of the supermoon!
Signature: Sincerely, K. P. Sullivan

Unknown Moth lays eggs

Prominent Moth lays eggs

Dear K.P. Sullivan,
We didn’t think this would be a difficult identification, however, we were not successful at getting an identification.  We aren’t even certain of the family.  Perhaps one of our readers will post a comment today and help us successfully provide you with an identification.

W.C. Eddie provides an identification:  Prominent Moth
See BugGuide for information on Nadata oregonensis.

Location: Seattle, Washington

5 Responses to What’s That Moth??? A Prominent Moth

1. I think it is most like Sphingicampa spp. (Saturniidae), but I can’t find a match.

2. no not a silkmoth says:

this is Nadata oregonensis
    Powell and Opler (2009) state Nadata oregonensis is similar to Nadata gibbosa but the forewing has a yellow patch in the discal cell and the postmedian line curves slightly basal at the inner margin. The forewing of N. oregonensis appears more blotchy.

Thank you for the assistance with this Prominent Moth in the family Notodontidae. It appears to match the images on BugGuide. We knew it was not Saturniidae because we checked Bill Oehlke’s website with comprehensive species data state by state by country by continent.

3. Pretty cool! The spots and lines on wings reminded me a lot a Sphingicampa. I thought it was wrong too, because there was no similar Sphingicampa on BugGuide.