Subject: What is it?
Location: Bartlett, TN (Memphis)
June 22, 2013 6:58 am
Hello, I live in Memphis, TN. Recently, we have found two of these creatures in our house. They do not fly. They really don’t move much at all. Their antennae are extrememly long – maybe three times as long as their body. Their body is about an inch long. It has little pincher things on it’s face. Body is brown, speckled – blends in perfectly on a pebbled sidewalk.
I have searched google for a match, but have been unable to find one. We have never seen one of these before now.
Thank you very much!
Signature: Vera Sidhom

Sawyer

Sawyer

Dear Vera,
This is a Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae, and we believe it is one of the Sawyers in the genus
Monochamus, though we are reluctant to attempt a species identification.  According to BugGuide:  “Either black or mottled gray. First antennal segment has a scar-like area near the tip. Antennae of the male is twice as long as the body, about as long as the body in females.”  The length of the antennae indicates your individual is a male.

Sawyer

Sawyer

Wow!  That was fast!  Thank you so much for your help – we had never seen this bug before and suddenly we had three of them move in with us.  Glad to know what they are.
Thank you again,
Vera

Location: Memphis, Tennessee