Gallinipper?
Location:  Virginia
June 22, 2013
I’m in Virginia and was shocked to find this huge mosquito. From what I can find on the web it is a gallinipper and has recently been spotted in Florida and Alabama. Can you confirm this?
Thanks again,
neanderpaul

Gallinipper

Gallinipper

Hi Neaderpaul,
We agree that this looks like a Gallinipper,
Psorophora ciliata.  According to BugGuide:  “The word gallinipper originated as a vernacular term in the southeastern US referring to ‘a large mosquito or other insect that has a painful bite or sting’ and has appeared in folk tales, traditional minstrel songs, and a blues song referencing a large mosquito with a ‘fearsome bite’ (McCann 2006).   However, the Entomological Society of America has not recognized ‘gallinipper’ or ‘shaggy-legged gallinipper’ as an official common name for Psorophora ciliata (ESA 2012).”  The data page on BugGuide shows the range as far north as Canada.
P.S.  Please use our standard submission form on the Ask What’s That Bug? link for future photo submissions.

Comment Courtesy of Angel van Gulik:  January 17, 2017
The other I was questioning was [this].
The coloration on the side of the thorax is atypical of the Psorophora ciliata, but it could be due to the lighting the picture was taken in.  Since I can’t see the top of the scutum to verify whether or not the golden mid-dorsal line is present, I can’t say for sure it isn’t.  Given the habitat and size, gallinipper is probably correct.

Location: Virginia