Subject: Weird worm swimming in toilet
Location: North Carolina
June 23, 2013 7:58 am
I woke up one morning and found tuis thing swimming in my toilet. This was BEFORE I used it! I have looked all over the Internet and can’t seem to find anything like it. It is rather flat, appears segmented and has a beak like protrusion on one end. It is literally swimming around in the water. I just moved into my place in February and am on a septic. Could it be something from that? Hopefully it didn’t come from inside my spouse!! We live on a coastal region of south eastern NC.
Signature: Grossed out on North Carolina

Fly Larva

Fly Larva

Dear Grossed out on North Carolina,
This is a Fly Larva, though we cannot say for certain which family.  Many Horse Flies have aquatic larvae, but this does not look like a Horse Fly Larva.  It looks most like a Soldier Fly Larva in the family Stratiomyidae.  See this image on BugGuide.  Your guess that it came up the drain from the septic tank is very possible.

Location: North Carolina

18 Responses to Fly Larva found in Toilet

1. Romona McGrane says:

I also found this fly larva swimming in my toilet. I totally freaked, thinking I had worms, since I have had stomach problems, and was given medicine for bloating, which gave me diarrhea (but nothing was in the stool).
    This bug was just swimming in the toilet when I went to us the toilet. My question is, can it get inside humans?

2. Romona McGrane says:

3. Susan hall says:

Why do these only show up when it rains alot?
    Are they coming from the septic tank?

4. Susan hall says:

Are they coming from the septic tank?

5. Jason Owens says:

Found one of these in my toilet this morning have been freaking out all day thinking it came from me. Didn’t see it till I was about to flush. Any help would be awesome thanks.

• Grossed out says:

I found one of these in my toilet after I went pee. I’ve been sick and not sure if it came from inside me or the toilet but I
      Haven’t seen any more in the toilet since. I’m taking my “wormy” to an Infectious Disease Doctor tomorrow, they wanted me to freeze it. I’ll let you know what I find out!

Did that come from me or the toilet?

• Grossed out says:

Did that come from me or the toilet?

6. I am in a panic, there were 2 of these in my toilet this morning. Any updates from previous posters? Help! I just want to know they are not living inside me!

7. Ismail says:

I’m also wondering, what is it?
    How it come?
    Where it form?
    How to get ridoff?

8. Ismail says:

I’m also wondering, what is it?
    How it come?
    Where it form?
    How to get ridoff?

9. Sarah j Pierce says:

My dogs water jug had TONS of these in it. I have no idea how they got there. What are they?? Can they hurt my dogs if they ingested them??

10. Maxine says:

Hi I found one in my bed last night!! How could it have gotten there? I’m worried there are more hiding

11. Jill Arrowood says:

I nearly fainted when I saw them in my toilet last year. Thank God I haven’t seen any more of them, I came to the conclusion they came from the toilet and not me. However, I don’t know what to think after reading this article:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3662079/Woman-peed-WORMS-3-months-infestation-fly-larvae-bladder.html
    This is mortifying!

12. Jill Arrowood says:

This is mortifying!

13. Anne says:

I have found them in my toilet several times after the dog has had diarrhea and I have flushed it down the toilet. I believe he must eat the eggs and they hatch inside him. Took one of them to the vet and they had never seen one.