Subject: Pretty Dragonfly??
Location: Dunedin, Florida
Just wondered what this might be. I posted it to your Facebook page but never got a response. Is it just a pretty dragonfly?
Signature: Carol Borrelli

Possibly Scarlet Skimmer

Possibly Scarlet Skimmer

Dear Carol,
We are not certain, but this red Dragonfly looks to us like it might be a Scarlet Skimmer,
Crocothemis servilia.  According to BugGuide:  “Native from southern Japan and China to northern Australia. Introduced accidentally to south Florida and to Oahu, Hawai’i.”
P.S.  We do not respond to postings on the Facebook page as we have our hands full with the submissions that come directly to our website.  On busy days, we are only able to respond to a small fraction of the identification requests and submissions we receive.

Thanks!! You guys are the best!!
Carol

Location: Dunedin, Florida

4 Responses to Red Dragonfly might be Scarlet Skimmer

1. Denise M. Gregoire says:

I just saw a scarlet skimmer in my backyard yesterday. It IS a breath taking red. I’m in San Antonio Texas, by the way…

2. Dave says:

I see a few every day at our backyard pond. They are beautiful. I’m in Guangzhou, southern China.

3. Jeanne Binner says:

one of these scarlet skimmers. has been in my back yard for about three weeks. he follows me and my two grand children around the yard.. rides on the electric car. has rested on my finger twice and the hand of my 2 year old grand dau. so precious to see such a beautiful specimen. I am from near the Niagara falls, new York area.