Subject: Imperial Moth in North Carolina
Location: Clayton NC
June 21, 2013 5:17 am
Greetings! I saw this moth outside of work in Clayton NC (south of Raleigh) yesterday. I looked it up randomly and was surpirsed to see a web page that described it’s range as being in Canada – is that right? I never would have seen it against the brick if I hadn’t bent over to pick something up I had dropped & it’s wings fluttered in the wind. It was every bit as large as most Luna Moths I’ve seen.
Love your site!
Signature: George & Gracie’s Mom

Male Imperial Moth

Male Imperial Moth

Hi George and Gracie’s Mom,
Thanks for sending in this wonderful image of a male Imperial Moth.  From what we have read, there are two or three subspecies in the U.S.  According to the Butterflies and Moths of North America website:  “Range: Maine west to eastern Nebraska, south to the Florida Keys and central Texas. Subspecies pini occurs across the northern Great Lakes basin and the northern third of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula” and “Subspecies pini feeds only on conifers.”  That refers to the caterpillars because adults do not feed.

Location: Clayton, North Carolina