Subject: Green and orange beetle
Location: Newville PA, Cumberland County
I spotted this flying around one evening but it wouldn’t land close enough to get a pic. The next evening I saw it sitting in a tree and was able to get a couple pics. Not the best pic the wind was blowing and the there was branches were moving. When it was flying the wings were large and iridescent green.
Signature: Dougpa

Elderberry Longhorn

Elderberry Longhorn

Dear Dougpa,
This is one of our favorite North American beetles, the Elderberry Longhorn, Desmocerus palliatus.  According to BugGuide:  “Swampy areas and edges of streams with host plant” which is elderberry as the name indicates.  We wrote that it is also called the Cloaked Knotty-Horn, but we can’t remember where we read that.  Impressions:  Cloaked Knotty-Horn Beetle uses the name.  P-Base also uses the name.  At last, Encyclopedia Britannica also uses and explains the name:
“The lepturids (subfamily Lepturinae) include the elderberry longhorn (Desmocerus palliatus), also called the cloaked knotty-horn beetle because it looks as if it has a yellow cloak on its shoulders and has knotted antennae. It feeds on leaves and flowers of the elderberry bush, and its larvae bore into the pithy stems.”    We consider the color to be blue, but leaning towards green.

Location: Newville, Pennsylvania