Subject: Aisan Longhorn beetle?
Location: Ontario, Canada
Just a couple of days ago I found this bug on my deck. I know southern Ontario has been battling with the Aisan longhorn beetle for about 10 years… I am waiting for a call back from the Canadian food inspection agency who has been dealing with the problem bugs… However I found that in April of this year it was announced they had finally erraticated the bug. I hope this isn’t one but I’d like to know if it is or isn’t and if it isn’t what kind is it?
Thank you in advance
Signature: Cassandra Nieves

Asian Longhorned Beetle or Not???

Asian Longhorned Beetle or Not???

Dear Cassandra,
Your beetle resembles an Asian Longhorned Beetle, but we cannot say for certain if it is an invasive species or a native species in the same family.  We wish your photograph had more detail.  The elytra do appear to have white spots on a black background and the antennae do appear to be striped black and white.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide conclusive information on the identity of the Longhorned Beetle in your photo.  Please let us know what the Canadian authorities have to say.

Location: Ontario, Canada

5 Responses to Probably White Spotted Sawyer, NOT Asian Longhorned Beetle

1. DanPWhelan says:

I found one of these as well today. According to the “National Wildlife Federation’s Field Guide to Insects and Spiders of North America”, it looks like a “White Spotted Sawyer”. The Asian longhorn Beetle has white stripes on the Antennae and this guy doesn’t. Not sure how to post a picture on this site yet but when I figure it out, I will.

Oh, and I live in Ottawa as well. It was just sitting on the driveway getting some sun. He/she flies but didn’t feel like it until I caught it.

Thanks for your comment. The angle on the photo submitted did not permit seeing the scutellum which would have helped us identify a White Spotted Sawyer. It is also difficult to see the details on the antennae. We do tend to agree with you that this is more likely a member of the genus Monochamus which includes the White Spotted Sawyer.

2. Dorothy says:

That looks like a White Spotted Sawyer beetle to me too. Very common in Ontario.

3. That is a monochamus or sawyer beetle. ALB are jet black with distinct white spots. Some very good pictures of ALB on http://www.bethelalb.com.