Subject: tarantula hawk?
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Hi!
I took the first picture (Foto-0093.jpg) but I didn’t have a high quality camera at the moment. I’ve been curious about what kind of insect is this, so I’ve been trying to look it up on the internet but haven’t been successful.
The description I can give about the bug I saw is that it is black, long (I think about 5 to 7 centimeters), six long legs (wich made the insect look bigger when it flew), and it’s wings and antennae were notoriously orange.
The second picture is from Mauricio Valverde. (2010). Utopia, Magazine & Travel Guide. Retrived from
http://www.revistautopia.com/Insectos-de-Monteverde.aspx,
This picture is the most look-a-like I found for the insect I saw but I can’t tell if it is the same. May be it is.
While surfing in the internet, giving my description I found an insect called tarantula hawk, but this one is a wasp and I don’t think the insect I saw looked like a wasp. But again, may be I’m wrong and it is a tarantula hawk. I just want to be sure.
Signature: someone curious

Tarantula Hawk

Tarantula Hawk

Based on your photo and description, we agree that this is a Tarantula Hawk, a spider wasp in the family Pompilidae.

Location: San Jose, Costa Rica

One Response to Tarantula Hawk from Costa Rica

1. Ann Burt says:

It is the way of nature but I still cannot watch this